After a long day, it can be tempting to order takeout for dinner. Instead of settling, the team at Brookstone Park Apartments in Covington, Louisiana would like to suggest this delicious and nutritious alternative!
Just because you refrain from getting takeout doesn’t mean you cannot enjoy a dish that’s equally as delicious as the ones found at your favorite restaurants. For example, little compares to a big, steamy helping of macaroni and cheese! Made creamy and filling by a combination of pasta, milk, and shredded cheese, this dish for Classic Macaroni and Cheese is sure to be a crowd pleaser in your household. Plus, it’s extremely affordable to make! Take a peek at the ingredients and directions below.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut in cubes
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or Colby jack
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Thoroughly cook the macaroni pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cream cheese until well combined.
- Then, stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until the mixture is smooth – about 5 minutes. This creates a delectable base for your cheese sauce.
- Slowly pour milk into the sauce base, stirring as you go. Keep stirring until everything is smooth and slightly boiling. This will take anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese to the mixture and stir until the cheese is well-combined with the other ingredients.
- After you’ve drained the macaroni pasta and returned it to its pot, pour the cheese sauce mixture over the pasta and stir gently. Serve hot with extra cheese on top if you’d like.